Community

Connect with us and enhance your M-Files experience using Unitfly Toolkit for M-Files. Here’s how to get started.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Disable rule group still leaves rules in that group active

Topic starter

Have a number of groups in E-mail notifications and some rules in each group.

Sometimes when you need to test something it would be convenient to be able to disable all the rules in a group during the test simply by disabling the group. However, the rules in a disabled group remain active unless you disable each of them individually. I wonder what then is the purpose of having the option to disable a group if it has no apparent affect?

Obviously testing should not be done in a production environment anyway, but sometimes when you configure special integrations with other systems you need to test that integration in the production environment to make sure it works as intended.

6 Answers

Hi Karl,

Yes, if you disable a rule group, it doesn't disable each rule individually within that group.
Despite this, rules in the disabled group are treated as disabled and will not be executed. So this has the same effect as disabling each rule individually within that group.

Regards,
Tadej

Topic starter

Thanks Tadej,

That was what I expected, but not what happened in real life. The notification rules in the group kept on sending notifications after I had disabled the group.

BR, Karl

Which version of EK are you using? I'm currently testing with the latest version, and disabling the group works as expected, no notifications are sent from the disabled group.

BR,
Tadej

Topic starter

Using version 4.6.2

That is quite strange, because there was no modifications for that feature after your version. I personally use this feature frequently and I never had any issues with it.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that rules were already processed when you disabled the group, and that might be why notifications were sent. Can you do some additional tests for this? If you're able to reproduce it on a test vault, it would be great if you could send us a backup of that vault.

Another option is also to update EK to the latest official version (4.8.0) and test it again.

Regards,
Tadej

Topic starter

One possible explanation might be that rules are configured to trigger on Object Changed with no specific property monitored. If that is evaluated after enabling the group and compared to the object's properties before the group was disabled, then it obviously would trigger notification because I had changed some properties in the meantime. However, I believe triggering is event based. In that case it should only trigger on changes happening after the group is enabled. I may need a closer look on trigger conditions and tighten up the rules.

Answer